Scott & Julie Davis Family Home
Dallas / Ft. Worth / North Texas
We knew we wanted to work with Owner Builder Network on our new home since my sister (Julie's sister and brother-in-law – Jeff & Nettie Mallet) built their home with OBN several years ago. We had very specific ideas of materials we wanted to use in our home, especially on the finish out. Our family has a Granite ship and we knew we wanted to use them and Scott wanted to use several reclaimed items such as Barn door, barn door tracks, mantles in our dining and living room and many different lighting pieces. With a traditional builder, this would have cost much more money and maybe not even allowed.
We were also able to afford many upgrades by paying only the cost of materials and labor to install the upgrades. Here is a partial list of what we were able to do at our cost without the upgrade charges:
- Leathered granite on our kitchen island
- Shaved brick backsplash
- Brick/wood arches in kitchen/living area
- Painted metal pieces in cooktop area
- Metal tile ceiling in entry and dining area
- Scored and stained concrete
- Hand scraped wood floors on 2nd story area
- Specialty ceiling treatments in master and kids rooms
- Wood treads on stairs with wrought iron railings
- Movie/media room
- Game room
- Surround sound speaker wiring throughout house and outdoor living spaces
- Specialty sinks in bathrooms
- Reclaimed master bathtub
- Upgraded showers
- Reclaimed tongue & groove porch and patio ceilings
- Huge outdoor stone fireplace as focal point for outdoor living area
- Cedar beams/posts on exterior
... and my list could go on and on.
I also want to mention that OBN subs are the best. Our son was even able to help spread the concrete alongside the workers! He had his own rubber boots on and was dragging the concrete right next to the workers. How many boys get to have that experience?!
We moved into our home with a huge amount of equity! Managing the process of building your own home is a huge undertaking, but you can do it and Owner Builder Network is here to help you all the way through! We would do it again in a heartbeat! Lastly, I want to thank Debbie Manning for always being available to answer questions during the building process.